HOUSTON COUNTY, GA – Seven Houston County schools won 2016 Governor’s Shape Honor Roll awards. C.B. Watson Primary, Hilltop Elementary, Lake Joy Elementary, Matt Arthur Elementary, Pearl Stephens Elementary and Russell Elementary were six of the state’s 125 Platinum award winners. Mossy Creek Middle was one of 62 schools that qualified for Silver recognition.
Honor roll recipients were awarded at four levels: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. In all, 125 schools in Georgia were awarded platinum, 14 received gold, 62 earned silver and 17 were awarded bronze. The SHAPE program rewards schools for healthy school environments and a wellness culture for staff, students and the community. School principals were notified about the recognition on July 28 by Brad Chester, Georgia Shape Physical Activity Coordinator with the Georgia Department of Public Health. Each school received an official certificate, an award/decal banner and a fitness equipment prize pack.
Georgia SHAPE is an initiative to improve Georgia’s future, beginning with young people. SHAPE is a network of partners, agencies and athletic teams, to include the Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta Braves, Georgia Department of Public Health and Georgia Department of Education. The program begins with a basic, benchmark measurement of fitness among students called FITNESSGRAM. The FITNESSGRAM tool evaluates five health-related areas: aerobic capacity, muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility and body composition. It also generates reports providing valuable individual, school, and state-level data. Results from FITNESSGRAM are intended to empower parents, schools and the community to assess current health needs. The report is delivered confidentially to families. Aggregate results are reported to create a snapshot and highlight areas for improvement.
Schools are required to participate in the FITNESSGRAM fitness assessment as part of the physical education program. Each student is assessed using the following components: one-mile run, curl-up, push-up, back-saver sit and reach and height/weight. A confidential FITNESSGRAM report is provided for each student with the final report card of the school year.
School addresses and principal contact information follow.
- B. Watson Primary: 61 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Warner Robins. Principal Alicia Conner may be reached at Alicia.Conner@hcbe.net or 478-929-6360.
- Hilltop Elementary: 301 Robert Bryson Smith Parkway, Bonaire. Principal Dr. Ovedia Glover may be reached at Glover@hcbe.net or 478-929-6113.
- Lake Joy Elementary: 985 Lake Joy Road, Warner Robins. Principal Tami Godman may be reached at Godman@hcbe.net or 478-971-2712.
- Matt Arthur Elementary: 2500 Highway 127, Kathleen. Principal Dr. VaRee Harrell may be reached at Harrell@hcbe.net or 478-988-6170.
- Pearl Stephens Elementary: 420 Pearl Stephens Way, Warner Robins. Principal Gloria Smith may be reached at Smith@hcbe.net or 478-929-7895.
- Russell Elementary: 101 Patriot Way, Warner Robins. Principal Jo Hall may be reached at Hall@hcbe.net or 478-929-7830.
- Mossy Creek Middle: 200 Danny Carpenter Drive, Kathleen. Principal Dr. Andy Gentry may be reached at Gentry@hcbe.net or 478-988-6171.
The full list of Honor Roll winners is posted on the GaDOE, Georgia Shape and Governor’s Office websites. For more information, please visit http://www.georgiashape.org/.